- Early Start Home Page
- What is Early Start?
- Family Resource Centers/Networks
- Family Cost Participation Program
- Annual Family Program Fee
- Infant Mental Health Projects
- Interagency Coordinating Council
- Employment and Training Opportunities
- Online Resources
- Resource Materials
- Parents' Rights
- Statutes and Regulations
- Training and Technical Assistance
- Complaints Process
1600 Ninth Street
P. O. Box 944202
Sacramento, CA 94244-2020
Info: (916) 654-1690
TTY: (916) 654-2054
- Laws & Regulations
- Budget Information
- Facts & Stats
- DDS Forms
- Publications & Other Resources
- Public Records Requests
- Appeals, Complaints & Comments
- Small Business and Disabled Veterans Advocates
- Newsroom/Media Access
- Contact Us
Documents identified by PDF (Portable Document Format) requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader to be viewed and printed. If you do not already have the Adobe Reader, it can be downloaded for free from Adobe.
Parents have rights and access to procedural safeguards to assure that early intervention services are provided in a manner appropriate to the child's needs and concerns of the family.
Procedural safeguards include: confidentiality, access to records, evaluation and assessment, individual family service plans, and periodic and annual individual family service plan review.
Complaints, Mediation, and Due Process Hearings
In Early Start, parents have rights and protections to resolve disagreements related to Early Start services or allegations that a federal or state statute or regulation has been violated. The following procedures are only for children under the age of three years.
As a parent, guardian, or surrogate parent you have the right to:
- request a mediation conference and/or a due process hearing any time a regional center or LEA proposes or refuses to initiate or change the identification, evaluation, assessment, placement, and/or provision of appropriate early intervention service(s);
- be informed of your right to file a complaint; and
- file a complaint if you believe there has been a violation of any law governing early intervention services under Early Start.
For more information regarding complaint resolution processes: