- What's New
- Developmental Center Closures
- Home and Community-Based Services Programs
- Consumer Privacy
- Mental Health Services Act
- Risk Management
- Quality Assessment / National Core Indicators
- Direct Support
- Laws & Regulations
- Budget Information
- Facts & Stats
- DDS Forms
- Publications & Other Resources
- Public Records Requests
- Appeals, Complaints & Comments
- Small Business and Disabled Veterans Advocates
- Newsroom/Media Access
- Contact Us
Documents identified by PDF (Portable Document Format) requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader to be viewed and printed. If you do not already have the Adobe Reader, it can be downloaded for free from Adobe.
Quality Assessment and the National Core Indicators Survey (NCI)
In 2010, in accordance with Welfare and Institutions Code, Section 4571, the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) implemented a nation-wide quality assessment survey called the National Core Indicators (NCI). NCI is one tool that DDS uses to monitor the performance of the developmental disabilities service system as well as the performance of our twenty one regional centers in providing services and supports for developmentally disabled adults and children.
The NCI surveys are conducted through in-person interviews with adult consumers every three years and consumers who have moved out of a developmental center to the community every year.
NCI surveys are conducted by the State Council on Developmental Disabilities. Surveys collect data on consumer and family satisfaction, quality of services, and personal results. In 2013/2014, DDS added questions to the NCI surveys to help evaluate linguistic and cultural competency.
Highlights for Fiscal Year (FY) 15/16
The second California NCI Child Family Survey is being mailed to families of children ages 3-18.
The survey questions ask families about these areas of life:
- Life at home
- Involvement in the community
- Access and delivery of services and supports
- Satisfaction of services
- Choices, decision making and control
The sixth adult consumer survey of individuals who have moved from developmental centers to the community (movers) began in Spring of 2016. A sample of individuals who have moved to the community in the last 5 years and all individuals who moved from Lanterman Developmental Center will be surveyed. You can watch this video to learn more about the NCI interview here.
In addition, DDS is conducting a study to better understand the experiences among movers during the first two years of transition. The study, called the Mover Longitudinal Study (MLS) began in January 2016. DDS will survey the first 125 people who consent to participate in the survey. You can learn more about the MLS here.
- What to Expect During an NCI Interview
- NCI Employment Data Brief
- User-Friendly Guide: 10 Easy Steps to using the NCI
- User-Friendly Presentation: Learn About NCI
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Using NCI Data for Quality Improvement Initiatives
- Consumer Corner, NCI page
- 2014 Adult Consumer Survey Brochure
- Adult Consumer Survey Reports
Family Survey Reports
- Supplemental Child Family Survey 1, FY 12/13
- Child Family Survey 1, FY 12/13
- Adult Family / Family Guardian Surveys 1, FY 10/11
- Annual Regional Center Reports
Project Contact Information
For questions about the National Core Indicators, contact: