- Laws & Regulations
- Budget Information
- Facts & Stats
- DDS Forms
- Publications & Other Resources
- Public Records Requests
- Appeals, Complaints & Comments
- Small Business and Disabled Veterans Advocates
- Newsroom/Media Access
- Contact Us
Documents identified by PDF (Portable Document Format) requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader to be viewed and printed. If you do not already have the Adobe Reader, it can be downloaded for free from Adobe.
Welfare and Institutions Code, Section 4571, consolidated two data collection efforts: The Evaluation of People with Developmental Disabilities Moving from Developmental Centers into the Community, and the Life Quality Assessments (LQA). Data collection was consolidated into the Quality Assessment Services project in order to provide a single, nationally validated instrument, which will allow the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) to collect statewide and regional center specific data to support the satisfaction and success of consumers through the delivery of quality services and supports.
In 2009, DDS established membership with the National Core Indicators (NCI) program to meet the statutory requirements. Through the use of the NCI survey instruments, DDS collects quantitative data on consumer satisfaction, provision of services, and personal outcomes. This data collection effort will enable DDS to evaluate the quality and performance of California's developmental service system and among all of the 21 regional centers over time.
The NCI program is the center of a multi-state collaboration, measuring the quality and performance of states' developmental service systems. Thirty five states currently participate in the NCI program.
The State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD) collects the data for this project using the NCI survey instrument. SCDD's knowledge of data collection dates back to 2004 when SCDD collected data for the LQA, which concluded in 2009.
The NCI Adult Consumer Survey Interviews are scheduled to begin again in the Fall of 2014. We are currently in the data collection process for our third National Core Indicators (NCI), Adult Consumer Survey. The NCI survey is used in many states to find out how services and supports help people with developmental disabilities have good lives. In September, 2014, a group of people receiving services from each regional center will be contacted by the local Area Board and asked permission to participate in the survey. Similar to a personal interview, the questions are about life at home, at work, and in the community; about friends, family, and the people who deliver services.
- National Core Indicators (NCI) - What to Expect During an NCI Survey (Video)
- National Core Indicators (NCI) Brochure (PDF)
- Quality Assessment Presentation in Plain Language
- Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Using National Core Indicators (NCI) Data for Quality Improvement Initiatives (PDF)
Pursuant to Welfare and Institutions Code Section 4571(h) the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) has posted for public review California's first statewide data from the National Core Indicators Adult Consumer Survey report on its website. These data are comprised of consumer responses on 93 quality of life and satisfaction questions. The data in the statewide report provides a baseline for measuring how Californiaï¿½s developmental disabilities service delivery system is performing over time.
- What We Learned from the National Core Indicators (NCI) Adult Consumer Survey
- National Core Indicators Adult Consumer Survey Results, FY 2011-2012
- National Core Indicators Adult Consumer Survey -- Supplemental Report FY 2011-2012
- National Core Indicators Adult Consumer Survey -- Supplemental Report FY 2011-2012 Appendices
- What We Learned from the National Core Indicators (NCI) Adult Family Survey -- User Friendly Version 2013
- What We Learned from the National Core Indicators (NCI) Family/Guardian Survey -- User Friendly Version 2013
- National Core Indicators Family Survey Results, FY 2010-2011
- What We Learned from the National Core Indicators (NCI) Adult Consumer survey: NCI Results from People Across California in 2010 User-Friendly Version
- National Core Indicators Adult Consumer Survey Report, Fiscal Year 2010-11
- Regional Center National Core Indicator (NCI) reports