1600 Ninth Street
P. O. Box 944202
Sacramento, CA 94244-2020
Info: (916) 654-1690
TTY: (916) 654-2054
- Laws & Regulations
- Budget Information
- Facts & Stats
- DDS Forms
- Publications & Other Resources
- Public Records Requests
- Appeals, Complaints & Comments
- Small Business and Disabled Veterans Advocates
- Newsroom/Media Access
- Contact Us
Documents identified by PDF (Portable Document Format) requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader to be viewed and printed. If you do not already have the Adobe Reader, it can be downloaded for free from Adobe.
Welcome to the Self-Determination Program Home Page! We are excited about the possibilities and opportunities this program will provide for those who receive regional center services. In October of 2013, Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. signed into law the Self-Determination Program, which will provide consumers and their families with more freedom, control, and responsibility in choosing services and supports to help them meet objectives in their Individual Program Plan. This site is designed to allow those interested to follow the progress and learn more about Self-Determination as the program moves toward implementation.
A Message from former director, Santi J. Rogers, Department of Developmental Services
All individuals, regardless of ability, have the right to access the basic elements that make-up a good life, beginning with: family, independence, personal responsibility, and freedom of choice. The Lanterman Developmental Disabilities Services Act builds upon these basic fundamentals so that all individuals have the right to live their lives as they choose.
Similarly, the principles of Self-Determination include:
- Freedom to exercise the same rights as all citizens; to establish, with freely chosen supports, family and friends, where they want to live, with whom they want to live, how their time will be occupied, and who supports them;
- Authority to control a budget in order to purchase services and supports of their choosing;
- Support, including the ability to arrange resources and personnel, which will allow flexibility to live in the community of their choice;
- Responsibility, which includes the opportunity to take responsibility for making decisions in their own lives and accept a valued role in their community, and
- Confirmation, in making decisions in their own lives by designing and operating the service that they rely on.
It is through this "Self-Determination Program" that all individuals are able to access what everyone deserves - "a good life."
Where to Find More Information?
The links below contain information on the current status and background of the Self-Determination Program. Updates will be posted as we progress towards implementation. If you have questions, comments, or want to be notified of updates, please e-mail email@example.com.
- Implementation Updates
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Self-Determination Statute (California Law)
- Program Directives