- Sonoma Home Page
- Programs and Services
- Job Opportunities
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Governor's Advisory Board
- SDC News
- Sonoma Valley Footrace & Festival
- Information about Sonoma County
15000 Arnold Drive
Eldridge, CA 95431
Public: (707) 938-6000
Fax: (707) 938-3605
TTY: (707) 938-6548
- Laws & Regulations
- Budget Information
- Facts & Stats
- DDS Forms
- Publications & Other Resources
- Employment Opportunities
- Public Records Requests
- Appeals, Complaints & Comments
- Small Business and Disabled Veterans Advocates
- Contact Us
Documents identified by PDF (Portable Document Format) requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader to be viewed and printed. If you do not already have the Adobe Reader, it can be downloaded for free from Adobe.
Becoming a Psychiatric Technician
What is a Psychiatric Technician?
A Psychiatric Technician's job duties include:
- Carry out nursing procedures
- Administer medications (oral and injection)
- Perform treatment procedures
- Collect data via observation
- Participate in treatment planning, implementation and evaluation
- Apply behavior management therapies
- Apply therapeutic interaction principles
- Teach skills needed in the activities of daily living
- Teach social skills
- Teach basic vocational skills, like paper-shredding or assembly
When does a Psychiatric Technician work?
- Full or part time
- Day, evening or night shift
- Any day of the week (including weekends)
How much do Psychiatric Technicians earn?
Entry pay for a licensed Psychiatric Technician at SDC is $4,476 per month for full time employment. In addition to the salary, part of the compensation is paid vacation and sick leave as well as health, dental, vision and retirement benefits. These benefits vary based on tenure and time base.
How long does it take to become a Psychiatric Technician?
Santa Rosa Junior College and Napa Valley College both offer the Psychiatric Technician program that consists of three semesters (35 hours per week) of theory and clinical practice for a total of 55-56 units. There are employment opportunities at SDC for Psychiatric Technician students earning approximately $13.75 per hour. For more information, contact Santa Rosa Junior College or Napa Valley College.