1600 9th Street
P. O. Box 944202
Sacramento, CA 94244-2020
Info: (916) 654-1690
TTY: (916) 654-2054
- Laws & Regulations
- Budget Information
- Facts & Stats
- DDS Forms
- Publications & Other Resources
- Employment Opportunities
- Public Records Requests
- Appeals, Complaints & Comments
- Small Business and Disabled Veterans Advocates
- Disabilities Advisory Committee
- Contact Us
Documents identified by PDF (Portable Document Format) requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader to be viewed and printed. If you do not already have the Adobe Reader, it can be downloaded for free from Adobe.
DDS 2012-13 Budget: Stakeholder Process
While California's budget situation continues to improve, current year State revenues remain insufficient. In December, the Director of Finance informed the Legislature that revenues were less than anticipated and that several statutorily authorized "trigger" reductions were necessary, including a reduction to the Department of Developmental Services' (Department) budget.
The January 5, 2012, Governor's Budget for Fiscal Year (FY) 2012-13 includes the full year impact of the revenue trigger reduction for DDS of $200 million General Fund (GF). The proposed budget also assumes expiration of the 4.25 percent payment reduction to regional centers and providers, due to sunset June 30, 2012, and recognizes caseload growth in the community. To address the budget year reductions, the Department is initiating a process to receive stakeholder input in the development of reduction proposals.
The Department has successfully used a variety of approaches to work with our stakeholders in developing cost saving measures. These processes have enabled California to maintain the Lanterman Act for individuals with developmental disabilities while realizing the required budget reductions. To ensure sufficient time is available to develop proposals for legislative consideration for the FY 2012-13 Budget, DDS has scheduled six stakeholder workgroup meetings throughout the State in February and March, as follows:
- Los Angeles – Friday, February 3, 2012
- Sacramento – Tuesday, February 7, 2012
- San Diego – Thursday, February 16, 2012
- Riverside – Friday, February 17, 2012
- Oakland – Friday, February 24, 2012
- Fresno – Thursday March 1, 2012
Similar to the process used to develop reduction proposals for the FY 2011-12 Budget, stakeholder organizations are being invited to appoint individuals to the workgroups that represent their respective services or role in the provision of services to consumers. To ensure individuals who receive services and their families have the opportunity to participate, we are asking the organizations to appoint consumer or family member representatives to the workgroups. Each workgroup will include:
- Three representatives from statewide organizations representing individuals and families who receive services throughout the Developmental Services System.
- Three representatives from each of seven different service categories, appointed by their respective organizations.
- A representative from developmental center families, the University Centers on Excellence in Developmental Services and the Department's Consumer Advisory Committee.
In addition, the Department welcomes written suggestions from members of the community. These suggestions should be submitted by March 1, 2012 to John Schmidt at John Schmidt or mailed to:John Schmidt
Special Assistant to the Director
Department of Developmental Services
P.O. Box 944202
Sacramento, California 94244-2020
In developing system-wide proposals, the Department is seeking input from stakeholders on strategies to decrease the need for admissions from the community into State Developmental Centers, opportunities to achieve efficiencies through emerging technologies, the extension of all or part of the 4.25 percent payment reduction, and other savings proposals.
DDS is strongly committed to working with its stakeholders to develop proposals for achieving the required FY 2012-13 savings.