The following information and links may be helpful tools for consumers and their families as well as providers and others who care for individuals with developmental disabilities.
DDS Wellness Toolkit
The DDS Wellness Toolkit is a website managed by the California Department of Developmental Services. The site is focused on providing information and tools related to health and safety for self-advocates, direct support professionals, and vendors or providers. New topics, tools, and information are added to the website throughout the year.
Information Packet for Consumers & Families
DDS is creating, with stakeholder input, standardized information packets to be provided to any individual seeking services from a regional center. The information packets will be available in various languages and alternative formats and modes of communication.
Advocates are trained to help consumers, families and professionals understand the rights of individuals with developmental disabilities. They provide education and training and advisory services.
State Council on Developmental Disabilities
The State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD) is an independent state agency that ensures people with developmental disabilities and their families receive the services and supports they need. Through advocacy, capacity building and systemic change, SCDD works to achieve a consumer and family-based system of individualized services, supports, and other assistance
Clients’ Rights Advocates
Developmental centers and regional centers have clients’ rights advocates who are independent of these facilities and help consumers with concerns.
Non-Profit Advocacy Groups
The following advocacy groups are independent of regional and developmental centers and provide services to individuals who have developmental disabilities.
- Competitive Integrated Employment — Consumer Success Stories
- Information on Consumer Employment Options
- Special Announcements and LEAP Exams
- CalJOBS℠ – America’s Job Center of California℠
- Employment Presentation Notes PDF
- Think College — College Options for People with Disabilities
State Council Employment Advisory Committee — “Learn About” Series
- Finding a Job PDF
- Incentives PDF
- Accommodations PDF
- Community Reflections: A video about people with developmental disabilities sharing their experiences and views about opportunities to work in their communities.
- California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR)
- Employment First Committee, California State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD)
- Covered California and Medi-Cal
- In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS)
- Disabilities Benefits 101
- Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) is a is a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) program that replaces the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program (EBB Program) to help low-income households pay for internet service and connected devices. English Flyer | Spanish
- California LifeLine Program – discounts on home phone and cell phone services to qualified households
- Find Low-Cost Internet and affordable computers in your area
Last modified: February 8, 2022