The 21st Century CURES Act, signed into law in 2016, requires that States set up an EVV system to verify that services for all Medicaid-funded personal care and home health care services occurred. Under the Act, an EVV system must verify the following service components:
- Type of service performed;
- Individual receiving the service;
- Date of the service;
- Location of service delivery;
- Individual providing the services; and
- Time the service begins and ends.
The new requirements for EVV will not change where and how these services are delivered. All states must implement EVV for personal care services by January 2020 and home health care services by January 2023. In accordance with federal provisions, the State submitted a Good Faith Effort Exemption (GFE) request on October 2, 2019 to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) to extend the EVV implementation date for personal care services to January 2021. On October 22, 2019, CMS approved the State’s GFE request for personal care services, and will not apply Federal Medical Assistance Percentage (FMAP) reductions in calendar year 2020. More information on California’s GFE approval letter from CMS is available on the DHCS EVV Webpage.
Updates on the implementation of the EVV program will be posted to this page as they become available.
Upcoming EVV meetings:
The Department of Developmental Services (DDS) is continuing the stakeholder process to plan for the implementation of the federal Electronic Visit Verification. A zoom meeting on EVV for regional center consumers and their family members and self-advocates will be scheduled soon.
If you want to be added to the DDS stakeholder notification list, please send your request to DDS Electronic Visit Verification at: EVV@dds.ca.gov
Previous Stakeholder Meetings
- February 11, 2021 – DDS hosted
- December 4, 2020 – DHCS hosted
- March 3, 2020 – DHCS hosted
- August 5, 2019 – DDS hosted
- June 17, 2019 – DHCS hosted
- October 2, 2018 – DHCS hosted
- DDS EVV FAQs PDF
- California Department of Social Services (CDSS) EVV Webpage
- CDSS EVV Stakeholder Meetings Webpage – Individual Provider Model
- DHCS EVV Stakeholder Website
- Medicaid.gov EVV Guidance Documents
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Service Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) Stakeholder Open Door Forum November 7, 2018 PDF
Last modified: February 17, 2021